Thursday, January 6, 2011

A 2 sided coin

The last few weeks I've given a lot of thought to what to do when my contract expires in April. Do I re contract? What do I really want out of life? I find myself pulled in 2 completely different directions. I have this desire to return to Canada, settle down, have a place of my own and grow some roots. Being a complete nomad for the last 10 years has left me with an emptiness of not really knowing where 'home' is.

The other opposite side of me, dreams of backpacking for 6 months in either South America or Eastern Europe (once again 2 completely different ideas) before returning to Canada. I want to be stationary, and be in one place, and on the other hand I can't wait to be on the move again. What is a person to do, when their dreams of the future are so out of proportion with one another?? So here's what I've decided- I will re contract here in Saudi for another year- and if I can't hack it then I will leave early. Work has given me some great professional opportunities, and it would be a shame to not take advantage of them. Also there is the issue of debt- I would like to have more paid off before I integrate myself back into a normal society. Oh, and there is the minor issue of my travel addiction, and the abundance of vacation days available if I stay here. (It has not escaped me that traveling, and getting out of debt are not mutually attainable goals.) I figure if I can still manage to pay off my debt while traveling then why the hell wouldn't I.

So that's the plan. I'm heading to Oman on Monday for a week. Will be in India for 10 days the end of Feb. Was planning to go the UAE to celebrate St Pats in Dubai- but since they now hate Canadians and are charging us a small fortune for a tourist visa, this may be on hold. One of my dearest Seattle friends is meeting me in Turkey for 16 days at the end of March/beginning of April. That's the start of a kick-ass 2011!!

No comments:

Post a Comment